Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Living life to the fullest

A while back, I took offence to being called "middle-aged." That seemed like a term for old people and certainly I did not qualify as an old person to anyone but my child who thinks anyone over 25 is old. I have prided myself on remaining youthful in appearance, attitude and interests. Most have no idea I am approaching my 50 birthday in just months. So how did I become middle-aged? The fact of the matter is that I AM!! Let me now say it with pride and conviction, I AM MIDDLE-AGED and there is nothing wrong with that.

The reality is that age is a physical reality but a mental choice. Yes I am almost 50, yes I have a few more pounds than I would like to carry around, yes, thank God for Garnier Neutriese #866 that hides those pesky grey hairs, and yes I do remember the 45 and 33 vinyl records, telephone party lines, S&H Green stamps, 8 track and cassette tapes, Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights in front of the old black and white TV and countless other relics from my past. However, the good news is that I REMEMBER!! Yes, I remember with a smile on my face and whenever some one sends one of those viral emails around that start with "remember when..." I admittedly read with great memories, smiles and occasionally audible laughter.

With this age comes confidence, expereince, insight, long time friendships, clarity, and a sense of purpose and of where I have come from. As much as we would like to frown on the actual number, label or even those grey strands, what we have gained is greater than what we have lost. Even in times of hardship, I can look back on my journey and know that better days are right around the corner because time, experience, and faith have taught me that. When I think I have nothing to show for how far I have come and the years, I look back on my dear friends who have shared laughter, tears, loss and celebrations with me for whom I would give the world and them for me. I cherish the young people, though nerve racking at times, who are part of my family and friend circle because there is a little piece of me and all who have been apart of their lives glimmering in their eyes and hearts.

My daughter chastises me whenever there is too much cleavage showing, when the hair is too bright or big, when the skirts are too short or the jeans too tight. God bless her for being my barometer. However, I am still kicking, sexy, and loving life so as long as I am doing it all with grace, sophistication and self-respect, that is all that matters. Bring on my animal print!! Besides, she may think I'm too much at times but her friends think I'm cool (and much younger than I am and most of their parents are).

The bottom-line is this, life is what you make it. If you see age as a limitation or the approach to the end of something, pull up your rocking hair and watch the sunset. If you're like me, live it, love it, dance while you can, laugh as loud as you want and celebrate you!

Inviting 50 with arms wide open...

Angel