Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Count your blessings

Are there days when it seems like if it weren't for bad news there would be no news at all? Does it seem like just as you overcome one challenge and take a deep breath, it's time to jump the next hurdle? Have your ever spoken these words, "if I could just get a break?" Well here is the good news, in order to have adversity in life you have to actually be ALIVE. Count that as your first blessing.

Here's my secret...don't see things as a "problem" but instead a challenge or an opportunity to learn something about yourself and the untapped strengths you possess. Don't ask "why me" but "why not me?" Know that to everything there is a beginning and an end. Circumstances are only perpetual or persistent if you decide not to take action. Decide NOT to be a victim. Take your power and joy back and stop giving it away to others or circumstances.

Consider looking at life like the proverbial card game. You are dealt a hand. Sometimes the cards are perfect and you smile. Other times they may be horrible and you can't wait to get rid of them. In most card games, you have the option to pull a card, decide to keep it to better your hand or discard it and hope for a better selection the next go around. So in life, you are dealt a rotten hand or card, you might have to hold on to it for a little while until you figure out a strategy to discard it and then eventually your turn comes and it's gone and that awful hand somehow begins to look a little better.

Someone once told me that you can visit pity land, just don't buy property there. It's true. All too often we stew in our misfortune or adversity and see only the negative aspects of the situation. If we started to look at each challenge as a lesson to be learned and worked to overcome the obstacle and learn the lesson, we might experience a little less stress, pain and fewer sleepless nights. Its really the man or woman who faults the universe for his or her problems that misses the true pearls of wisdom of life. It is the person who keeps his eyes open and on the prize despite how far or high it appears that reaps the harvest.

This is not just Pollyanna BS. I have had my share of shortfalls this last year and I have thrown my share of pity parties. However, every time I give myself permission to feel down for one day but get up and get going the next day, things just seem to work out. I have been down to my last penny and just as I exhale and concede that "it is what it is", the tables turn and a few more bucks hit my bank account and another bill is paid. When I allow my head to be cleansed of the thoughts of inadequacy and failure, space is made way for strategy development and clear thought. I find that counting my blessings is like adding fuel to an empty tank. No matter how depleted I feel, the fact remains, I have a roof over my head, I have friends and family who love me, I am a survivor, I have skills and talents, I can do most anything I set my mind to. It seems, in no time thereafter, I'm off like the EverReady Bunny...

So my friend life is full of choices, choose to see your glass as half full versus half empty and simply exude gratitude for even having a glass to begin with.

With abundance,

Angel

1 comment:

Kristen K Brown said...

I love this message - so true!